Friday, September 02, 2011

I am SO TIRED of Being Treated Like a NIGGER

Tonight, as I contemplated which of these over-priced, pretentious boites a Rive Gauche I would dash by before hitting up the FranPrix for salad and Potato Chips...I happened past a ProxI.  Two North African/Indian attendees barely nodded.  I kept going.

On the way back to the flat I determined that i needed my crack [AKA the mixed-fruit cups] to compliment my wisdom...lol...and happened INTO the PROX-I [Fran Prix was out...odd!!!]  As I made my way to the back of the store, where the refrigerated items were stocked...the routine COMMENCED.  I was standing back there for maybe 2 seconds when I noticed something twitching to my left.  It was the "other" attendee...and as my conscious now opened up to his presence, I noticed he was re-merchandizing this whole wall.  Shifting and re-aligning items...cheese, cream, frozen veggies.  Every time I reached for a different flavor he shifted to a new item.  We kept this dance up for about 10 min [I'm serious about my Mixed-Fruit cups!!!], until I just turned and started laughing at him.  This frustrated him to the point of walking away...but then I got bothered.  THAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING SINCE DAY ONE!.  I do not understand. 

Let me preface this next statement with, "I know how fucked-up this is going to sound, but I have to put it out there."  I am a 40 yo, lean, light-skinned, balding man...with funky glasses and what I thought was a very non-threatening ensemble - brown GRIEGE long sleeve t and grey cotton LEVIS, as well as my ever-present BIRKs!!!  REALLY???  THE WHOLE WALL!?!?

I thought I was having flashbacks to some Wayans-family flick!!!  LoL  And these were people of color!!!  Normally, it IS the African security in my peripheral view...that is SOOOO ANNOYING! 

TAKE THE BLINDERS OFF...THERE IS RACISM stewing behind every quizzical look, cautious loook, nervous nudge and side-step...every Brash Giggle...urgent need to re-assemble an entire wall of refrigerated merchandise...et al. 

WILLFUL IGNORANCE is Alive and Well!!!

I am NOT however anything but [Willfully] AWARE!!!

When I see people of color on these streets now, I do not think free.  I look to their eyes to try and determine, " What that have had to forgo/sacrifice to walk so proud and full?"  Based on my experience...I will assume alot.

GET ME GONE.

PEACE Nigga'!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment