Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Stand & De LIVE HER [Random Moment]

I walked out of the confusing, stifling quiet of Chez Upshaw...into the light of day and all of the turmoil that is NYC...more specifically HARLEM 2012.  With bags stuffed with all of my essentials - laundry, shea, mawa, BULLET... & WISDOM, I set about going BACK to my girl Kelli's spot to pick up her keys...throw my things down and prep for THE ESSENCE.  Instead of jumping into a cab - very CARRIE - and being swept FURTHER Uptown to 150th Street...I stood at the corner of 112th and 8th...literally at a crossroads.  Directly across from me was a med height, thick brown girl in a too tight top of red, the a coat the same color (I believe) and a black miniskirt - all too young for maturing young body.  However, it was the shorter, brown hooded figure shouting and cursing at her as she meandered around the bystanders at the busstop...on into on-coming traffic...across the street...directly towards ME!!!  ME...swoozy with notions freedom, incense, wisdom, pasta, art and sunshine...now was looking straight into the glaring eyes and snarling mouth spitting expletives at the back of the girl quickly rushing at me...desperation and annoyance highlighting the plee of HELP she had on her face.  I was stuck and turned to find 2 more young-ish looking black me behind me...baring witness to this as well.  I believe we all thought...Hey, he is JUST yelling at her.  I am certain it will just die down - HOW many times have we seen this before gotten involved and gotten our respect nose busted...by the girl - I want to get involved...I mean, what if that was my mother/sister [which is what one of the brothers standing behind me said...an uncomfortable smirk covering his face...just before he headed to the train.  The other BEAUTIFUL, tall brown abaration...that almost made me forget why I was transfixed on the corner in the first place...stood with me a while...then headed into the HSBC ATM.

It was me all beige and FUNKY...with a middle-aged white man ...sportly dressed in hunter greens, cords, specs and a cellphone...{I JUST CALLED THE POLICE} He said, as he saw me looking for the oddly absent cops.  Normally I am greeted by their silence...every morning...as I round the corner to the train.  This morning nothing.  As this scene had now escalated to full fledge yelling, pushing and punching...screaming all from this gruff, lil' brown figure...HER UNCLE or so he was shouting at her.

We were stuck...as the sirens began to sound...UP THE STREET AT THE STATION...10min later...the white guys [including the father, down the block who was walking his young son to school] started shouting at him...just as he was punching the girl.  I looked out for the cops as one of the women standing at the busstop stood shouting at him.  By this time...there are gaggles of people on all 4 corners shouting...cursing...while SHE too was screaming while being hit.  STOP IT.  WE CALLED THE POLICE.  WE ALL SEE YOU.

HE WALKS off, "THAT's MY NIECE...my niece!!!"  MUFUCKAs...SHIT...FUCK...pointing and shouting BACK into the wind while walking UP 8th...right into the cops...WHERE he starts threatening the BIGGEST BLACKEST BROADEST of them.  I was stunned...back into reality as the M10 pulled into my line of sight.

I was just part of that, "THANK YOU...YOU GUYS did a great thing!"

Did I?  I just stood glared, looked out...bore witness, post OBAMA-win...to a young black girl being abused...physically and verbally...hair-pulled, taunted, spit and cursed at...all before 8:30AM.  I do not know what she'd done to set him off..."YouALWAYSSDOIN'THISSHIT!!!," so perhaps she needed some tough love.  I realize times have changed...and abuse IS abuse.  However, I am not certain that I am she should have been getting it in the middle of the street.

Moreover...why we were we 3 stuck?  Uncertain about our own outcome...or truly believing THIS NIGGA isn't REALLY goin' do THIS SHIT!!!

Either way...I'm Up.

Now...to THE ESSENCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment