Sunday, December 02, 2012

FAT FREDDY's DROP



It is amazing what one group can come to represent...and by group I mean singing group or BAND.  From as far back as I can remember...if I am clear...I am have been impacted LOVINGLY by collectives...EWF, DAZZ, SLAVE, CULTURE CLUB, SOULIISOUL, Parliament Funkandelics, Bob Marley & The Wailers, MCGC, 5 Blind Men, ROOTS, and so on...then comes PARIS.

Better still...RADIO NOVA.  This station in Paris gives such beautiful air space to the history of soul music....without thought to look, waist line, complexion or gimmick...just as long as it is TRUE, AMERICAN SOUL.

They gave equal credence to those folks that have listened learned and crafted their own AURAL CONVERSATION as it relates to SOUL.  The collective embodying this for MY PARIS TIME is FAT FREDDY's DROP.

I heard this song...
one night, in the flat I'd rented in the 18th...
near Canal St. Martin.  
 I lay there...
looking about this artfully, sparingly appointed space -
 MATRIX on the screen
...Amsterdam WISDOM in the SYSTEM
...WOODs in the AIR
...et Quinoa, Poulet et Broccoli filling out my form
...and informing the HEALTHY ears just about to be
WRENCHED OPEN BY THIS...


There it was...POSSIBILITY...written and sung with such earnest passion...by 2 young singers...one from America and the other NEW ZEALAND.  The entire BAND - FAT FREDDY's DROP - is from New Zealand.  They look SAMOAN...and are GENIUS.  These BROTHAS influences are clear - Hip Hop, SOUL, REGGAE, FUNK, ROCK, TECHNO, HOUSE...GOSPEL, TRANCE...Just LOVINGLY COMPREHENSIVE.

I took to them and have found their catalog mesmerizing.  

And then there is...


And Oh Yes...

and...


and Finally...


Andreya Triana...Lewis Taylor...Jamie Lidell...FELA...not to mention the ROOTS - Horace ANDY, Merci Martin; MASSIVE ATTACK et al, Merci Fon Fon.  The TOURE Clan...Merci YaYa.  And ALL the FILLER I wax harmonious about with INDIGO!!!

Give these a quick listen-to.

I figure I am to truly share all parts of my Parisian Excursion...NATURALLY, I am going to begin with MUSIC.


PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment